Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Independent Women's Forum


As a single mother, I was very delighted to see the Independent Women's Forum was in support of education reform, mainly school choice. Being a parent is a stressful yet rewarding job. I am constantly worried about my children and always wanting the best for them. I make choices for them on a daily basis that I think will positively impact the rest of their lives. I am very concerned with health and nutrition, and make the time to encourage exercise and healthy eating habits. We cook together and I educate them on the need for a well rounded diet that is full of whole grains, veggies, fruit, and lean meats. I like to encourage respect for all life and compassion for others. We are involved in several charities in our community and volunteer on a regular basis. In my home, we have regular homework time and my children know the value of learning..they truly enjoy it. One thing I cannot choose for them is where they will go to school. As a single parent, I do not have the resources to send them to the private school (which offers a much better education). I find it frustrating they are stuck in one school that cannot educate them properly. I plan to move in order to switch school districts, but this can be expensive and hard to do without help. I should be able to decide where they attend school and not be controlled by my street address. Some parents love our school, and others do not. Point being, every school is not a one size fits all place.

I applaud the Women's Forum for their support in school choice! They have given me hope there is still a chance that someday I can make those choices for my children.

No comments: