Tuesday, December 18, 2007

School Choice Making Its Way

The recent statewide vote in Utah got my hopes up, only temporarily though. I thought it was going to pass but I was unfortunately mistaken. However, it did not squash my hopes for the rest of the country. I still believe school choice will help the schools and definitely help the children. Missouri may get there sooner than I thought. According to The Joplin Globe's article "Proposal Would Increase Missouri School Funding":

Another issue that may surface in the 2008 legislative session is school choice.
Rep. Cynthia Davis, R-O'Fallon, has submitted a bill that would allow parents of private-school or home-schooled students to be reimbursed their school property taxes.

The article also discussed Governor Blunt's plan for funding increases in education.
Although this legislation piece is not school choice for every child, it is a step in the right direction. The article also points out the Missouri National Education Association (MNEA) is against school choice, which is nothing new to hear of from a teacher's union. My hope is that the MNEA and other opposing organizations will step away from the organization's bureaucracy and look for what is best for the children.

No comments: